Horizontal Remediation Wells for Environmental Site Cleanup
The first horizontal wells were installed using a mid-sized directional drill rig in 1993 by Directional Technologies, Inc. The three (3) horizontal Soil Vapor Extraction wells installed at John F. Kennedy International Airport was the beginning of a new industry. Directional Technologies, Inc. founders transferred their experience from the oil fields to the environmental industry. This has resulted in the installation of over 1,000 horizontal wells for site remediation worldwide. Horizontal Remediation Wells are a time-tested and proven technology that can provide solutions for problems previously considered unfeasible.
Proven and Effective Remedial Technology
Horizontal wells are a proven and effective remedial technology for site cleanup. For environmental applications, horizontal wells offer several advantages in comparison to traditional vertical wells.
- Horizontal wells improve the effectiveness of soil and groundwater cleanups by allowing access to areas that are inaccessible to vertical wells.
- Horizontal wells are by directional environmental drilling and its ability to steer the drill bit to precise locations allows installations beneath buildings, underneath utilities or around other subsurface obstructions.
- The orientation of horizontal environmental wells require fewer wells to achieve remedial goals due to longer lengths of well screen (e.g., hundreds of feet of well screen for horizontal wells) running parallel vs. perpendicular. They can range from 10’ of well screen and as long as 2,000’ of well screen, or longer if needed. Whereas, vertical wells typical consist of smaller 10 foot sections of screen.
- This longer horizontal well screen provides a greater surface area in contact with impacted soil or groundwater. This results in higher transfer rates to expedite cleanup.
- Air Sparging
- Soil Vapor Extraction
- Dual Phase Extraction
- Chemical Oxidation/ISCO Injection
- Air Sparge Barrier Wells
- Six Phase Heating
- Groundwater Extraction
- Cathodic Protection
- Vapor Intrusion
- Bioamendment Injection
- Landfill Leachate Collection
- Landfill Gas Collection
- Free Product Recovery
- Soil Sampling for Site Assessment
- And more…
- Greater Accessibility to the Plume
- Greater Zone of Influence
- No Interruption to Commercial Activities
- Multi-Dimensional Screen Exposure
- Well Placements where Vertical Cannot Go
- Higher Efficiency of Influence
- More Rapid Site Closures
- Reduced or No Site Reconstruction
- Lower Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Costs
Key elements of designing successful horizontal wells:
- Bore Path Design to Maximize Zone of Influence
- Engineered Well Screens
- Experience of the Directional Environmental Drilling Company
- HA custom Drilling Fluid Program for each Horizontal Well
Horizontal Environmental Wells must be installed by an experienced Environmental Directional Driller. Installation requires a phased approach and includes Horizontal Directional Environmental Drilling. Installation includes:
- Site Visit – Create Layout Design
- Equipment Staging
- Mud Pit Installation
- Assembly by Bit, Locator, and Other Drilling Tools
- Reaming and Installation
Horizontal Wells not only out-perform vertical wells by increasing the well’s Zone of Influence, but can dramatically reduce the time to site closure. Ultimately, leading to significant Operations and Maintenance (O&M) cost savings over vertical well systems.
There is an art and science to both design and installation of successful horizontal wells. Years of experience are required for an Environmental Directional Driller to hone the skills needed to directional drill and install successful wells. Directional Technologies, Inc. is the experienced and skilled company you are looking for. Directional Technologies, Inc. has been designing and installing successful horizontal wells in the United States and abroad for more than 24 years.
Read our Case studies to learn more about our Horizontal Remediation Well successes.